It’s important to stay safe while operating and enjoying your RV or camper and not just because it can keep your insurance premiums low, but also because it helps keep your vacations fun and your family safe. Try some of these quick safety tips on your next vacation to help keep incidents and damages to a minimum.
- Check for gas leaks.
Fires are one of the top insurance claims of RV and camper owners, and they are often caused by gas leaks. Getting a leak detector solution will help discover one before it causes a problem.
- Practice general fire safety.
Fires aren’t just caused by gas leaks. They can also be caused by bad decisions and improper use of camping tools. As a general rule:
- Don’t light candles in the RV or camper.
- Never leave food unattended when it’s cooking.
- Keep all flammable materials away from the stove.
- If you have a grill, use it outside and follow all safety recommendations.
- Do not overcrowd the RV with stuff. Not only is this a tripping hazard, but it can also cause a fire.
- Use only authorized indoor heating devices and follow instructions.
- Keep a fire extinguisher prominently located.
- Have annual fire drills so that your family understands how to react properly in the event of a fire and how to get out of the vehicle.
- Invest in detectors.
Everyone knows a home must have smoke and carbon monoxide detectors, and so must your traveling home. Make sure to check the batteries before going on each trip.
- Don’t forget personal safety.
- Keep your doors and windows locked when not around the RV and at night when sleeping.
- Never leave expensive items outside or in plain view of the windows.
- Teach your family self-defense and teach them how to appropriately respond when they see suspicious activity around the campgrounds.
- Take a class.
Driving an RV or a vehicle with an attached camper, isn’t easy. You and at least one other adult going on the trip should take lessons in driving, parking and handling the vehicle.
By stressing the importance of safety on your trip, and learning how to stay safe, you can ensure that you and your family make only the best memories on your camping trips.
Give AmeriAgency a call at 615-209-9362 for more tips on safety and insurance for your RV or camper.