Plan For Successful Summer Entertaining
Entertaining Safely at Home
Whether hosting a birthday party or a charity gala, organizing a successful event requires planning to make the experience enjoyable for everyone.
Below are a few helpful tips to lessen the likelihood of accidents or injury.
Hire Reputable Vendors
- Obtain a signed contract documenting the function each vendor will provide.
- Ensure with documentation that each vendor is licensed and bonded.
- Make sure vendors are adequately supervised.
- Create written non-disclosure agreement to be signed by vendors that identify expected behavior.
Minimize Slipping Hazards
- Ensure that all walkways and stairs are clear of obstacles.
- Maintain adequate lighting in high traffic areas.
- Consider placing rugs or other covering on polished floors in order slipping.
- Remind guests to watch their step around staircases and other changes in surface elevation.
Be Smart When Serving Alcohol
- Never serve alcohol to minors.
- Designate or hire a responsible bartender to help monitor alcohol consumption.
- Consider offering alternate transportation for guests.
- Keep a lock on your wine cellar.
- If you are serving wine from your personal collection, ensure that bartenders understand what you want (and don’t want) poured.
Carefully Consider Activity Choices
- Supply safety equipment, such as life jackets or bike helmets, if its required for an activity.
- Have basic medical first-aid equipment on-hand to treat minor injuries.
- Use professionals when appropriate: for example, if a pool party, have a certified lifeguard.
- Ensure that activities are allowed by your local jurisdiction.
Make Parking Part of the Plan
- Determine if any zoning restrictions are in place and obtain permits if required.
- If you plan to have guests park along the street, obtain permission from local government.
- For large events, consider offering valet parking.
- Ensure there is adequate lighting in the driveway and parking areas.
Consider Additional Safety Measures
- Be mindful of media exposure.
- Block off any parts of your home that you consider private.
- Securely lock up guns or other weapons in your home.
- Lock up valuables.
- Separate pets as guests might be allergic, or afraid.