- Should you have a pool, restrict access to the area with a gate that automatically locks.
- For added protection, especially if there are young children at home, equip the gate with an alarm.
- If your grill is near your home, it should be equipped with a shut-off device.
- Never use chimineas or fire pits on decks, gazebos or covered patios. They should be located at least 15 feet away from any structure.
- General Home Maintenance
- When cleaning gutters and roofs, remove debris and check for winter damage that should be repaired.
- Make sure trees on your property are healthy to avoid toppling onto your home during high winds.
- If you live in a wildfire-prone area, remove all dead materials from trees/bushes/landscaping to eliminate fuels in the event of a wildfire, and keep grass areas short.
- Do not post your vacation location on social media, or post photos, until your return.
- Should you be gone for an extended period of time, have a neighbor watch your home and forward your mal to the post office.
- Place lights in the house on timers, to give the impression you are home.