We are certainly in an area of the country prone to tornadoes and it looks like we had some close calls this morning. Knowledge of tornado safety is crucial for everyone.
Watches and Warnings
- A tornado watch simply means that conditions are ripe for a tornado to form.
- A tornado warning means that a tornado has been sighted.
- Most communities have an emergency signal. Make sure you’re familiar with that sound, and be prepared to get yourself and your family to shelter.
- If you are at home or work, try to find shelter in the center of the structure. You want to be away from windows.
- If you have a basement, that is the very best place for you to seek shelter.
- If you are in your car, get out and seek shelter. If shelter is not within safe walking distance, you can find shelter in a ditch.
- If you live in a mobile home, you need to vacate the home and seek shelter elsewhere. Mobile homes can be picked up by tornadoes.
Securing Your Property
- If you have time, move cars to a garage and take the keys with you.
- Remove all lawn furniture or things that could get carried off by high winds.
- Make sure that you have an up to date inventory of your possessions, and always store it off your property. Safe deposit boxes or online are great options.
Let us make sure your property is covered. Call AmeriAgency at 615-209-9362.