The Weather is Changing, And So Is the Time: Safety Tips for September/October
The Weather is Changing, And So Is the Time: Insurance Safety Tips for October/September
As winter starts to set in most of us will be spending more time indoors. Now is a good time to review this checklist for safety, comfort, and savings.
Around your home…
- Make sure your fireplace and chimney have been cleaned
- Install motion detection lights on the outside of your home – it will save energy and add a touch of safety
- Check your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors to make sure they are functioning properly and have good batteries
- Make sure all furnace ducts and hot water pipes are sealed and insulated
- Consider using a programmable thermostat for energy conservation
- If you regularly arrive home after dark, use a timer on interior lighting for safety so lights are on when you arrive home
- Check fluid levels
- Get an engine tune up
- Check your tire tread and review winter driving tips
- Be aware of children playing around streets after dark
- Check your battery; starting power is more crucial when it is colder
- Keep a blanket, flashlight, and shovel in the trunk
- Choose safe costumes for your child. Make sure their vision is not obstructed in any way, that the costume allows for comfortable movement and breathing, and is flame resistant.
- Make sure adults accompany smaller children when trick-or-treating
- Send kids out with flashights, and if appropriate, a cell phone
- Make sure children cross streets at well light intersections and obey traffic signals
- Be sure to check your kid’s candy before they eat any
Thanks for reviewing these insurance safety tips.